If you are looking for new and exciting ingredients for your green smoothies, then Romaine lettuce might be just the ingredient you need! This leafy green vegetable has a crisp, delicious taste to it, and it has a mild flavor that can easily be masked by fruit if you would like too. If you are new to the wonderful world of green smoothies, then this leafy green will make an excellent starter ingredient.
The Health Benefits of Romaine Lettuce In Green Smoothies
I could literally write pages about the health benefits of Romaine lettuce in green smoothies; however, since I have a feeling that you do not want to be here all day, I will just hit the highlights.
- Protein – Romaine lettuce is a surprisingly great source of protein. In fact, a single head of Romaine lettuce is comprised of 17% protein. It also contains all 8 essential amino acids.
- Calcium – One head of Romaine lettuce is going to contain 206 milligrams of calcium, which amounts to roughly 21% of your RDA for calcium. When you blend it with calcium rich foods, such as papayas and oranges, it can make your green smoothies an excellent source of calcium.
- Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Did you know that one head of Romaine lettuce contains 44% of your RDA for Omega 3 fatty acids? These are healthy fats that are an essential part of your diet. Forget the fish oils! Reach for a head of Romaine lettuce!
- Iron – One head of Romaine lettuce is going to contain 6 milligrams of iron. This makes it a significant source of iron for vegetarians and vegans.
- Vitamin C – A single head of Romaine lettuce is going to compare 167% of your RDA for calcium. By comparison, the average sized orange is only going to contain 92% of your RDA for calcium.
Green Smoothies With Romaine Lettuce
I have a great recipe for green smoothies right here for you to try! To make this recipe, you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
- 1 apple, roughly chopped
- 1/4 lemon or lime
- 2 cups of purified water
Each of these ingredients will need to be added to your blender one at a time and blended together until smooth. Of course, if you do not like any of the ingredients, you are encouraged to substitute your own. Just make sure that you include the Romaine lettuce! Enjoy!