Green Smoothies With Pears and Kale
You already know about this love affair I am having with pears. Continuing on with this trend, I’ve been experimenting with different herbs in my green smoothies recently. I’ve found that nondairy milk and fresh orange juice can be used in your green smoothies if you want them to have a little more flavor or sweetness to them. Now, you get to enjoy the fruits of my labors (Get it? Fruits of my labor?…Never mind).
Before we get started on these green smoothies, I wanted to share a few more fun facts about pears that I’ve discovered. Here we go…
- The hydroxycinnamic acid found in pears is also associated with preventing stomach and lung cancer.
- Did you know that pears are a hypoallergenic fruit? This means that most people, even those with severe food allergies, can enjoy pears without encountering any unpleasant side effects.
- Quercetin is an antioxidant found in the skin of pears. It helps prevent cancer and artery damage that can lead to heart problems. Recent research also suggests that it can prevent the human body from developing Alzheimer’s disease.
Back on topic…To make these green smoothies, here are the ingredients that you’ll need to have:
- 2 cups greens (I used kale)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 ripe pears, cored
- 1/4 cup herbs (parsley and cilantro both work great)
- 1 frozen banana (remove the peel, cut into 1-inch slices, and freeze in a plastic bag overnight)
- 1 cup ice
- 1 Tablespoon flax seeds (optional)
- Protein powder (optional)
- 1/4 avocado (optional)
Start off by blending the water, your leafy green vegetable of choice, and the herbs together on high for about one minute. Next, add in the rest of the ingredients and blend them together until the smoothie has a thick, creamy consistency. Pour it into a glass, add a straw, and enjoy!
The recipe makes about two cups of green smoothies, but you can easily double it if you need to make more. It only takes about ten minutes out of your day to make, but the health benefits that it offers will last you through the entire day! Be sure to drop me a line and let me know what you think of it!