Green Smoothie With Chocolate
This green smoothies is different from other recipes I’ve posted in the past. There are very few people I know who can resist the taste of chocolate, but this green smoothie is also quite high in protein. Use it as a mid afternoon snack or as a healthier alternative for after dinner dessert. This green smoothie tastes just like a chocolate milkshake, but it is so much healthier!
Some people will be iffy about using protein powder in their green smoothie. If you don’t like its taste, try adding raw protein to your smoothie through other means, like raw egg yolk, organic plain yogurt, or raw milk. You might be concerned about adding raw egg to a green smoothie, but I have been doing it for years, and I have yet to have a problem.
One of the most important ingredients in this green smoothie is the raw cacao powder. I can’t say enough about the health benefits that it has to offer. Raw cacao powder is rich in magnesium, iron, and fiber, amongst other vitamins and nutrients. Cacao powder can easily be found at your local health food store.
Now, let’s get down to the good stuff. Here’s a list of the ingredients you’re going to need to make this green smoothie:
- 1 cup organic plain yogurt or Greek yogurt
- 1 cup filtered water (or use more liquid(s) above)
- 1 1/2 organic bananas, previously peeled, cut into chunks, and frozen
- 1-2 Tb. organic raw protein powder
- 1-2 organic, free-range eggs- optional
- 1-2 Tb. organic raw cacao powder (use the larger amount if you really like chocolate)
- 1 Tb. organic coconut oil
- 1 Tb. organic flax oil or ground flax seeds- optional
- 1 Tb. raw honey or stevia to taste- optional
Each of these ingredients should be added to your blender one at a time and blended together until smooth. Add more water as needed until your green smoothie gets the right consistency.
This green smoothie is a big hit with my kids, who think that it is a chocolate milkshake. I haven’t corrected them yet. If you would like to make the smoothie more like a milkshake, chill it in your freezer for an hour or two before serving it. I can guarantee that it will become one of your family’s new personal favorites.