Green Smoothie Recipes With Granny Smith Apples
It is just my personal belief that food should not only taste wonderful. It should make you feel wonderful too. This is why I am such a fan of green smoothie recipes. I am not going to take a pure shot of icky wheatgrass simply because it is good for me. On the other hand, Granny Smith apples are one food that I love. Their tart flavor just can’t be matched, and I think that many of us are familiar with the health benefits that apples have to offer.
I took a chance on these green smoothie recipes that a friend suggested, and I loved the results! The addition of the cilantro, ginger, and citrus to the green smoothie provides a refreshing flavor, and I never would have thought to combine these spices with Granny Smith apples. This recipe makes about 12 ounces of smoothie, but you can easily double or triple the ingredients if you need to make more.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 granny smith apple (preferably organic), cut into big pieces or one pear
- 2 cups of kale (pull leaves from two stalks to make two cups) or 2 cups spinach
- 1 lime (juiced or remove the seeds and add the flesh, too) or one lemon
- 1 small handful of cilantro (pull the leaves from the stalks)
- 1/2 cup orange juice (make sure it is 100% organic orange juice)
- 2 teaspoons ginger (mine came from a jar but you can grate fresh ginger instead)
- 1/3 cup chopped banana (entirely optional, add if you want a more creamy texture)
All of the ingredients should be added to your blender one at a time and blended together until they have a smooth, creamy consistency.
Based on some rough estimates on my part, one cup of these green smoothie recipes clocks in at about 200 calories, with 11 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein, over 700% of the Vitamin A and 260% of the Vitamin C that your body will need for the day. Additionally, it also provides a long list of other vitamins and nutrients.
I drank my smoothie in the morning as a part of my breakfast, and I was able to enjoy a steady stream of energy throughout the day. Try it out and let me know what your thoughts are! I hope you love these green smoothie recipes as much as I do!