Green Smoothie Recipes With Cherries
When you think of cherries, most people think of the maraschino cherries that are used to top sundaes and other types of desserts, but did you know that cherries are a very valuable addition to green smoothies recipes? We’re going to have a little health lesson today, and I’m going to give you the top ten reasons why you should include cherries in your green smoothie recipes.
Here we go…
- Cherries are packed with antioxidants called anthocyanins, which aid in the reduction of heart disease and cancer when eaten on a regular basis.
- Cherries are one of the few food sources that contain melatonin, an antioxidant that helps regulate heart rhythms and the body’s sleep cycles. They’re very beneficial if you have trouble falling asleep at night.
- Cherries are an excellent source of beta carotene (vitamin A). In fact they contain 19 times more beta carotene than blueberries and strawberries. I was surprised to find that out!
- Cherries are rich in vitamins C, E, potassium, magnesium, iron, folate and fiber, amongst other vitamins and nutrients.
- Cherries are referred to as “brain food”, aiding in brain health and in the prevention of memory loss.
- Because cherries contain anthocyanins, they can reduce inflammation and symptoms of arthritis and gout.
- Eating cherries can reduce the risk of diabetes.
- Cherries are a good source of fiber which is important for digestive health.
- Cherries are a great snack or dessert choice important for weight-maintenance.
- Because of their powerful anti-inflammatory benefits, cherries are said to reduce pain and joint soreness for runners and athletes after workouts.
Taking all of this into consideration, why would you not want to include cherries in your green smoothie recipes? Here’s a great recipe to get you started! You’ll need to have:
- 1 banana, preferably organic, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup organic frozen cherries
- 1 cup organic plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (I used beveri ground flax with dried blueberries)
- enough water to blend to a smooth consistency
Each of these ingredients will need to be added to your blender one at a time and blended together until smooth. This recipe will make about 2 cups of smoothie, but you do not have to drink it all at once. Whatever you don’t consume can be packaged in your fridge later for consumption. Enjoy!