Folate, which is also commonly called folic acid, plays a vital role in many of your bodily functions. For example, folate assists your body’s cells in replicating DNA and repairing it as well. Another important role that folate plays in the human body is in rapid cell division and growth. This is why it is so important for pregnant women to receive their daily recommended values of folate.
Most medical professionals are going to recommend that a woman who is pregnant, or those who are trying to get pregnant, should consume a minimum of 600 micrograms of folate each day. A lack of folate can cause neural tubal defects to occur in a growing infant. Needless to say, a great source of folate comes from the right green smoothie.
Green Smoothie For Folate
Each of the ingredients for this green smoothie have been carefully selected for their great taste and because they are a great source of folic acid. This green smoothie will provide a woman (or man!) with 49% of their RDA of folate. To make this green smoothie, you will need to gather the following ingredients:
- 1 apple, cored
- 1 orange, peeled and deseeded
- 1/4 avocado
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces of filtered water
Each of these ingredients should be added to your blender one at a time and blended together until smooth.
Green Smoothie Ingredients For Folate
If you do not like any of the ingredients in this green smoothie, then you are encouraged to substitute your own personal favorites. Here is a list of other green smoothie recipes that are rich in folate.
- Dark, Leafy Green Vegetables – This list of dark, leafy green vegetables includes baby spinach, kale, and dandelion greens. For example, one cup of baby spinach will provide 15% of your RDA of folate, with kale and dandelion greens offering 5% and 4%, respectively.
- Citrus Fruit – The list of citrus fruit includes mango, grapefruit, papayas, and oranges. As an example, just one whole orange will contain 12% of your RDA for calcium.
- Avocados – Avocados are an excellent source of healthy fats. Additionally, 1/4th of an avocado will contain 7% of your RDA of folic acid.