Creamy Carrot Raw Green Smoothie
Ehh….What’s Up Doc?!
Bugs Bunny was on to something with his love of carrots and catch phrase, “what’s up, doc?” Carrots are known to be an antioxidant rich, beta carotene filled, super vegetable to keep the immune system strong. The more carrots I eat, the less I visit the doctor. Guess what? Spices are also a great immune booster. Turmeric has a reputation in Eastern medicine for being a healing spice. Add it to carrots for a double dose of healthy living. My Creamy Carrot Raw Green Smoothie with a Kick is a raw green smoothie recipe that maximizes the health benefits of vegetables and spices.
Spices Can be Used as Medicine too!
Carrots are an especially sweet vegetable. Add a sprinkling of turmeric and it not only brings out the flavor, but also delivers a power shot of nutrients. Turmeric is a root spice that is popular in Ayurvedic medicine. Turmeric’s healing properties aid in the health of the cardiovascular system, cognitive function, and immune system. Just by adding the yellow hued spice to my raw green smoothies, I can help protect against heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and arthritis. Flavoring food with turmeric is like sprinkling a big old healthy heaping of health booster into your meal. I can’t say that turmeric is a Kryptonite to disease, but it sure does help stave off disease and infection.
The recipe for my Creamy Carrot Raw Green Smoothie with a Kick makes a flavorful smoothie that is ideal for a meal replacement or as a snack. The sweetness of the carrots, the velvety texture from the avocado, and the savory flavor from the mild earthy turmeric blend together to create a yummy raw green smoothie. Sometimes, I like my smoothies to have a thicker, frozen consistency, like a milkshake. Instead of using ice cubes in my smoothie, I will prepare by washing, slicing, and freezing chunks of carrot. For this green smoothie, I like to alternate between water and raw almond milk. For an extra kick of flavor (and nutrients!) I might grate up some fresh ginger and toss it in the smoothie.
Here’s the basic recipe for my Creamy Carrot Raw Green Smoothie:
- 3 medium sized carrots, sliced (fresh frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 teaspoons fresh turmeric (approximately 1 inch piece, grated)
- 1/2 cup water or raw almond milk
- Wash, slice, and freeze three carrots in advance for a thick, frozen raw green smoothie. Or use carrots at room temperature or chilled.
- Slice half of an avocado.
- Grate a inch piece of fresh turmeric.
- Add carrots, avocado, turmeric, and water or raw almond milk in a blender.
- Blend on low speed for one to two minutes, or until desired consistency is achieved. Add more water to taste.