Calcium-Packed Summer Green Smoothie
Why You Should Drink This Calcium-Packed Summer Green Smoothie…
This easy Calcium-Packed Summer Green Smoothie makes a healthy and hearty breakfast lunch or snack that is great for vegans or those avoiding dairy. If eaten for breakfast, the fiber in the kale will keep you feeling full all morning with no cravings! For even more calcium, use calcium-fortified almond milk, which is packed with nutrients like vitamin A and contains no saturated fat or cholesterol. You can also use soy milk, rice milk, or even just filtered spring water. The basil leaves will give the smoothie a refreshing and cool summery flavor. Not only is basil a delicious and calcium-rich herb, it also gives the smoothie and extra kick of potassium. The healthy fat in the avocado also gives you a morning boost that lasts all the way through lunchtime.
Veggie tip: Choose the freshest kale you can find. If it wilts in the fridge, make sure to slice off the ends of the stems and place the kale in a vase or tall glass of water by a sunny window to perk them up. I suggest choosing large basil leaves that are healthy and green, and avoid any that are brown or limp.
Calcium-packed Summer Green Smoothie Ingredients:
- 1 Large handful (5-6 leaves) organic kale leaves
- 1 Organic banana
- 1 Organic kiwi
- 1 Half ripe avocado
- ¼ Cup fresh basil leaves (5-7 large leaves)
- 2 Tbsp. lime or lemon juice
- 2 Cups calcium-fortified almond milk (substitute soy milk or filtered water)
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- First step, slice the banana and then freeze in a small plastic bag or in a bowl the night before (or at least one hour ahead of time).
- When you are ready to make the smoothie, de-stem the kale leaves and tear them into pieces and then pulse them for a few seconds in the blender to break them up.
- Peel and slice the kiwi and avocado, and add them along with the banana, lime juice, and almond milk. Blend until smooth. The texture will be creamy and and thick like a milkshake. You can try using a little extra almond milk to thin the smoothie if the texture is too thick.
- Next, pour the smoothie into two small or one big glass.
- Finally, stir in the flax seed and Chia seeds and garnish with a leaf of basil.