Antioxidant Rich Green Smoothie
There are many foods that can be included in an antioxidant rich green smoothie. You can mix and match almost any combination of fruits and vegetables to create a nutritious, good tasting green smoothie that contains all of the vitamins and minerals you need for good health. Beets and kale are two ingredients I like to included in my antioxidant-rich green smoothies. Both contain numerous vitamins and minerals, as well as being an abundant source of Vitamin C. Mangoes, cherries, strawberries and oranges are also full of Vitamin C which boosts the immune system and helps the body recover from the effects of free radicals.
Wheat germ and flax seeds/oil are high in proteins and omega 3 fatty acids, respectively. Small amounts can be added to thicken the smoothie and add texture. They do not overpower the taste of the fruits and vegetables. Both are very high in fiber that can help the body flush contaminants and toxins from the body.
Therefore, smoothies are ideal for between meals and snacks. When Flax Seed or Wheat Germ is added, they can also be easily used to replace a meal. Store the smoothie in a thermos and sip on it throughout the day for a refreshing pick-me-up. Try my Antioxidant Rich Green Smoothie any day of the week.
- Small handful of fresh kale
- Small, red beet and its greens, raw
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- 1/4 cup cherries
- 1/2 of a small, peeled orange
- 1/4 cup cubed mango
- Honey or honeybush tea for sweetness
- 1 teaspoon of wheat germ or flax seed (optional)
- Ice and water for smoothness
1. Place ingredients in the blender in layers.
2. Begin to blend the ingredients, adding ice and water as needed to make the consistency to your liking.
3. Pour into glasses and serve or place in the fridge and let set for an hour to chill.
4. This antioxidant-rich green smoothie has an abundance of nutrients and has a beautiful color. Garnish with a sprig of parsley or a small umbrella and enjoy.